Saturday, February 5, 2011

Time to start blogging!!!

Having just passed the one year anniversary of my diagnosis with cancer last month, and after a year of exhaustingly trying to individually update my amazingly supportive team of friends, family and colleagues, I have finally decided it best to get the word out going forward via blog. It has been quite a journey and the saga continues...

My story began in October of 2009 when I developed a small, painful mass in my right thigh. As it continued to grow I sought medical treatment and was misdiagnosed twice before learning on January 22, 2010 that the lump in my leg was not a muscle strain, as I had been told, but a large cancerous tumor called sarcoma. Although the thought of cancer was initially frightening, I was comforted by my prognosis - five weeks of radiation to my thigh followed by a surgery to remove the tumor. The cure rate for sarcoma is high so long as the cancer does not metastasize (spread) to any other part of the body, namely the lungs, and my lungs were clear.

The surgery to remove the then football-sized tumor in my thigh was successful and I was grateful to be cancer free until a subsequent scan revealed a few sarcoma lesions in my right lung. Surgery to remove the lung nodules was scheduled but had to be canceled when, a few days before surgery, an updated lung scan showed the cancer had grown to about 20 lesions in each of my lungs - too much to remove surgically. I was admitted to the hospital almost immediately for a week of intense inpatient chemotherapy, to be followed by another three weeks of the same last spring and summer. Being stuck in the hospital for weeks without the boys has been the most difficult part of my cancer experience to date.

Chemotherapy prevented my incision from thigh surgery from healing completely, prompting a second surgery to that area in July. I have been continued on various regimens of chemotherapy for the past 48 weeks, which has largely kept the sarcoma in my lungs under control until this week.

I learned Monday that several of the tumors in my lungs have grown significantly since my birthday, only two weeks ago. My lung surgeon believes surgery would result in her having to take my entire right lung, which is not ideal as this would not leave me with good options going forward, considering the significant amount of cancer remaining in my left lung. I also learned that the cancer has spread to my brain. I have two tumors, one on the right and one on the left. The right-sided lesion has caused my left arm to become numb from wrist to shoulder, and has left me with limited use of my left fingers. The latter is seriously affecting my guitar hero game, which I do not appreciate. J I begin stereotactic (pinpoint) radiation to my brain next week. The course regarding my lungs is not certain as of yet. I am scheduled to be evaluated at MD Anderson in Houston, TX on 2/21 and my docs here are doing all they can to get that appointment pushed up due to the sudden rapid growth of cancer.

I recently came upon the following scripture, which prompted me to adopt a firm belief (as opposed to a mere hope) that I will be healed: Mark 11:22-25 “Have faith in God,” Jesus answered. “Truly I tell you, if anyone says to this mountain, ‘Go, throw yourself into the sea,’ and does not doubt in their heart but believes that what they say will happen, it will be done for them. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." Needless to say, recent developments have been a "test of faith.” However, I remain extremely positive and in high spirits, choosing to believe that I will be eventually healed from this awful disease, and knowing that if I am not, everything will still be okay.

I appreciate the mounds of support shown to me and the boys by so many over this past year. I love receiving your well wishes and words of encouragement and hope you will understand if you contact me and I am unable respond. I have spent nearly every day this week treating from morning to evening, with much more to come. I intend to be stingy with the time I have away from docs and hospitals, reserving it for my boys.

Please know that I am not afraid of what may come. I am blessed beyond measure and grateful constantly for the amazing life I have lead to date. I am often asked what I need. I am getting along great and feeling mostly good. I am working and cooking and going places and living my life per usual. My mother's relocation to the area last year has been a huge help. If things change due to surgery, etc., I will absolutely reach out for assistance. For now, I just need your prayers. Please storm the gates of heaven with pleas for complete healing and for God to continue to cloak me and the boys with a blanket of love and peace.

Much love,

Stephenie

37 comments:

  1. Stephenie, you and the boys have been in my prayers daily over the last year. Thanks for the update, and know the prayers will continue. You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steph,
    You have and will continue to be in our prayers. I am so proud of your faith and positive attitude. You are Fabulous in every way:) Thank you for the updates and I am always here for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Stephenie. You are definitely one of the bravest people I know. You and the boys are in my thoughts and prayers. Please, let me know if there is anything I can do...

    Liz Lauri

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stephenie,
    You and your boys are in my thoughts and prayers daily. I mean that. Your strength is an inspiration and your faith is a wonderful example, to me and most importantly to your boys. I know you have a great network of friends and family to assist you but please don't hesitate to call on me if you need anything at all. -Leah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Know that I am here for you and the boys. Whatever you need, I mean that! I want you to know that your faith and courage through all this have truly touched my soul. Your bright "light" shines warmly on those that know you and love you and I am grateful to be apart that circle! Sending thoughts and prayers your way, today and always!

    ReplyDelete
  6. don't be shy asking for help...i know its a difficult road but you have friends who love you. our prayers are with you and your boys.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved seeing you today! Your faith and desire to be closer to God has been an inspiration....love you!!!!! From: a stay at home mom who has NO interest in meeting Rob Lowe! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Steph--

    Your attitude is inspirational. Many prayers coming your way from my family.

    Peace,

    Steve Wagner

    ReplyDelete
  9. Steph,

    You always have the most beautiful smile and are incredibly uplifting. I think you handle life and the situations you are living exceptionally well) You truly are a wonderful person and make me enjoy just being around you. Faith is everything. God has everything under control. You know that). Stay strong. I will pray for you and your kids/family.

    Your friend always,

    ROCKY TILSON

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stephenie, in all honesty, what can I possibly say to this news. You and your family have been in our prayers every day! Your uplifting attitude makes me smile and think of your smiling face! Please know that we would be happy to help you with anything you or your family needs. Do not hestitate to call as we are not far from you at all. Fight the fight and keep up your spirts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stephenie, You are by far the sweetest, dearest person I have ever met! Your smile still radiats such warmth and peace...I am praying for you and your boys through this time. Our God is the ulitmate physician and can do miraculous things! Keep up your amazing faith. J

    ReplyDelete
  12. Steph-
    First of all, I love you dearly. I will continue to keep you and your boys in my prayers. You are one of the strongest people that I have ever known and I have always looked up to you. I pray that God will continue to give you strength and comfort in knowing that he will get you through this!! I have no doubt that YOU WILL BEAT THIS! Know that you are loved and that if you need ANYTHING, I'm here! Stay strong! Love you, Steph!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Please know that Kye gets a hug daily from me....sometimes on his way in to school and sometimes on his way out! He's always smiling (I bet he gets that from his mother;-) and comes at me with open arms! If there is anything....and I mean anything...than I can do to help Kye out at school, please don't hesitate to ask! You and your family are in my prayers!

    Missy Bohannon (Maxson)
    mbohanno@ccs.k12.in.us

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think of you and pray for your daily and know if anyone can beat cancer, it's you! Stay strong and don't hesitate to reach out for help if you need it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Stephanie,
    All though we have not met I feel I know you. My sister is Daphne Hurm and I know you have been in her prayers since the beginning. She forwarded your blog to me today, and after reading it you are just as Daphne told me..."beautiful inside and out!"
    I just wanted you to know the Bryant girls come from a long line of powerful "pray-ers". So storm the gates we shall!!!!
    We do not know God's plans for us, but your faith is amazing and it's obvious he is still working through you!
    Love and HUGE Prayers for you and the boys!
    Dawanna

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think of you often. You and your boys are in my daily prayers.
    xoxo,
    Patty

    ReplyDelete
  17. Stephanie-

    I am the sister-in-law for Adam and Kristen Carroll... I think you had a hand in making sure God gifted us with their marriage and two amazing nieces! I wanted you to know that as your sister in Christ, I am truly praying for you. I lead a group of women called Soul Sisters and you are officially on our prayer list. I am so humbled to see your faith in motion as you journey with God through this "climb" in your life. I am also amazed at the courage you have... you must know Him well... you must trust Him greatly... thank you for the gift of example it has impacted me. Please do let me know if there is anything I/we can do for you. I am cheering you on sister.... believing in a Savior who's sole purpose on this earth was to heal. Take Care! Catherine Carroll

    ReplyDelete
  18. Steph,

    I know I posted already, but I thought of something else. Im not sure if I told you, but I was born "CLININCALLY" dead. That means, My brain, heart, and breathing did not work at birth. I was 100% commpletely dead at birth. I was in this state for almost 14 minutes. Of course, this was back in 1962 and medicine has changed alot since then. The Dr's tried something new, which was really just guess work, but managed to get me going (Breathing). I was in a coma and the Dr's told them I would would not survive over the next 24 hours. However, If I did survive, the affects would be dramatic to my brain and functionabilty. Also, my left arm was paralyzed for 2 years (They never knew why). Long of the short, God performed his miracle of miracles on me. Not only did my arm go back to normal, I would later become a top athlete in my sport (first man to bench press 600 lbs at age 45 in Indiana and Gold Medalist, in 2009 World Team in Paris). Not only that, I think I told you I went to Harvard. Everything I did was truly a blessing from God. What else can I say? Both of my parents are gone and I have no kids. I am alone, but GOD has always been with me and still is.

    No fears. He is with you. And, somehow, the best is yet to come. Really )))

    I am blessed to have a friend like you.

    Your friend,

    ROCKY

    ReplyDelete
  19. Steph-
    Clay and I speak of you often and pray for you daily. After all, you are my BT (birthday twin)! What are we now....29?
    God made you a very special person- you have taught me so much. We love you dearly and are so blessed to have you as a friend. Keep fighting the fight...God has the power to heal! Love, Clay and Linda

    ReplyDelete
  20. Stephanie,

    You are truly an inspiration! Your faith and courage have been a strength to you and to those you associate with. May God bless you on this journey. I pray that you will continue to see His hand in your life as you acknowledge Him with the many miracles that have taken place. Thank you for sharing this most personal and challenging experience with all of us. It is a blessing for us all to take part in this journey with you.

    My thoughts and prayers are with you.

    ~Emily Freeze

    ReplyDelete
  21. Steph-

    Your strength, courage and attitude are amazing. My family prays for yours daily. God is the true healer and I believe in his miracles. We are all so blessed to have you in our lives. I appreciate the updates, and know that we are here if ever you need anything.
    Love,
    Brian and Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love you Steph.....Wish we could meet at the bridge on our bikes so I could give you a big hug... <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  23. Steph

    You are truly an amazing woman!Thae amount of courage, class & positive attitude that you demonstrate will be help you conquer this awful attack on you. You and your boys are in my daily prayers! Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you!!! :)
    Frank

    ReplyDelete
  24. Stephanie,
    Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family! I am so sorry you are all going thru this. We miss you all and we are always here for you and your family. You are such a strong and courageous woman and we will be thinking of you and pray for you all! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Praying for you, Stephenie. So inspired by your beautiful outlook & strength during this. So blessed to know you :)
    Love, Holli

    ReplyDelete
  26. Stephanie,
    Wow! Loving, caring, faithful, inspiring, uplifting, courageous, strong, sweet...These are just a few of the words used to describe you. The most important of them all is a Woman of God..and that you truly are! :)
    I came across a couple of scriptures for you.
    Psalm 103: 2-3 and Jeremiah 17:14
    You may have already read them or know them by heart, but I thought I would share with you....
    You sure have LOTS of prayers being sent up for you. Mine included!
    Keep the faith!
    In Christ's Love,
    Tammy Lidster Skinner

    ReplyDelete
  27. Stephenie~ Words cannot say how Awesome and Inspiring that you are! You spread so much joy and laughter to all around you! Our thoughts and prayers are with you! Keep your faith and your amazing spirit! We love you! We are here if you need anything!
    Beth & Reid

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Steph. I am Nickie's mom and she forwarded your blog to me. We met you at Nickie's wedding and knew you were a very sweet person. You are amazing and have a strong faith in God. He will get you though this. I will keep you in my prayers!! God bless you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Stephenie,
    It has been so long since I've seen you and Bryce. I drive by your old house in centennial and think back to that great end of school party you threw when Bryce and Riley were younger. I still claim that they will be prom dates in the future. She gives "the look" anytime I mention it. :). I am inspired by your faith and your grace. In addition to my prayers of hope, feel the hugs I am sending your way.
    Nancy Schmitz

    ReplyDelete
  30. Steph- Vicki and I think of you often- your are an amazing inspiration to all of us!

    Vicki and Greg Bednar

    ReplyDelete
  31. Stephanie, we don't know each other yet, but my dear friend Susan shared your blog with me. I certainly will keep you in my prayers and will be following your journey!! God bless you and your precious family!

    oh, and I LOVE your blog background!! My favorite colors!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Stephenie,
    Gayle shared your blog with me this morning--you may remember me from the Gerling days of years gone by. You are on my prayer list of too many young people courageously suffering with afflictions. I recently shared a reflection of a person seeking healing and share it with you for your continuing journey:

    "To paraphrase Dickens in 'A Tale of Two Cities,' "it has been the best of times, it has been the worst of times." The worst because of the humiliation, physical pain, anxiety and fear. The best because of the reconciliation, love, sensitivity and peace that have resulted from God's grace and the support and prayers of so many people. While not denying the former, my reflection focuses on the latter, showing how, if we let him, God can write straight with crooked lines. To put it another way, this reflection is intended to help others understand how the good and the bad are always present in our human condition and, that if we "let go," if we place ourselves totally in the hands of the Lord, the good will prevail."

    Peace and grace to you,
    Steve Thomas

    ReplyDelete
  33. Stephenie,
    I am a friend of Tammy Meyer and just heard of your situation. I am praying and we will be praying in a class I teach at Indiana Wesleyan Univ. this afternoon.
    Jack Brady

    ReplyDelete
  34. Many prayers for you and your boys, Stephenie. Your tenacity, coupled with your faith, are inspirational. If anyone can beat this, it is you. We look forward to many more positive updates. Stay strong.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  35. Stephenie,
    You are so amazing! I will be keeping you and the boys in my thoughts and prayers.
    Love, Jeanette

    ReplyDelete
  36. Stephenie,
    You probably don't remember me, but I was Sheri's little tag-a-long cousin from across the street. I am so inspired by your strength in the face of this adversity, but not surprised because you are your mother's daughter! I'm glad she is able to be there with you--she was definitely my most favorite lunch lady ever! You and your darling boys are in our thoughts and prayers as you continue your courageous battle. Keep it up!
    Angie Workman

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi Stephanie,

    I just read your blog and you a true inspiration to us all. Our whole family is blessed to know you and your beautiful smile and heart that is always more concerned about others than yourself.

    They say that God doesn't give you any more than you can handle...He must know that you are very very strong. I know that those beautiful faces of your two precious boys give you some of that strength.

    Please know that you are surrounded by love and prayers from us and so many others as you travel to Houston. We love you and thank you for reminding us that every day is a gift and that friendships are to be treasured... & I certainly treasure yours.

    Connie Hackett

    ReplyDelete